Saturday 17 November 2012

Local Author Book Signing - Terry Tarbox

Today I met local author, Terry Tarbox, at his book signing in Lowestoft Waterstones, and I bought a copy of his book, The Willigrews, which he kindly signed for me.  And I got a nifty little bookmark too!


To be honest, I've known Terry for a few months, as he regularly attends Lowestoft Library writing and book groups, with his wife Lily.  When I first met Terry, he read the opening pages of his book to the members of a few local book groups.  From that moment I knew I had to get myself a copy so that I could explore the land of The Willigrews.  There are some sneaky previews of the stories on Terry's (or should I say, The Willigrews') website, and here's a little snippit ...

Long ago, in the distant future, in a place not far below the earth and not all that far above it, there lived a small tribe of creatures.  Or should that be a tribe of small creatures? Anyway the tribe was small and so were the creatures.  They were called the Willigrews, which was strange because not one of them was called Willie and they never grew, which was why they were so small.  Now the Willigrews were odd-looking things.  They were about the size of a golf ball (not that they ever played golf, which was just as well).  They all had legs, but not all of them had the same number.  It all depended on which family they came from.  Most of them, however, had two legs, which started at the bottom of their little round bodies and finished on the ground . . . just.


Unfortunately, as it always does, life got in the way and I hadn't managed to buy myself the book.  But I knew he would be doing a book signing at Waterstones today, so I went up there to eventually get my hands on this treasured tome.  


I have a few books on the go at the moment, but I will be putting those down so that I can read Terry's book.  I'm really looking forward to it.  As a grown up I know I probably shouldn't enjoy children's literature, but I don't ever tend to do the things that I'm supposed to.  I love how children's stories are full of fantasy and wonder, where you can be as silly as you like.  What the world needs right now is more silliness.


If you fancy picking up your own book of silliness, I think you can buy it from most major retailers.  All the information is on the website (www.willigrews.co.uk).  You can also check the website for upcoming book readings and signings.  Oh, and if you want to find out more about Terry, you can read my interview with him here.

No comments:

Post a Comment