Monday 28 January 2013

Writer - Tim Love

I'd like to welcome you to my interview with writer, Tim Love.  Enjoy.

Tim Love

Hello Tim.  Can you please introduce yourself?
I'm Tim Love, from Cambridge.
How long have you been writing?
30 years.
What first got you interested in writing?
Our school magazine.
Do you attend a writing group?
Cambridge writers.  I joined about 20 years ago. 
Why do you attend a writing group?
To improve my writing. 
What is the most valuable thing you've taken away from your writing group?
Feedback.
What genre(s) do you write?
Literary prose and poetry.
Are there any genres that you don't enjoy writing?
Many.
What types of things do you write?
Poetry and short stories.
Have you ever had anything published?
About 150 poems and 30 stories in magazine.  A poetry pamphlet and a story book.
Have you sent your writing to agents/publishers?  Have you received any rejections.
Yes.  Yes. 
Would you consider self-publishing/e-publishing?
I'd consider e-publishing.
Who/what influences your writing?
Many influences.  I get ideas on trains. 
How do you come up with your characters' names and personalities?
I observe then mash-up.
What is your writing routine?
I write about breakfast.
Do you start out with a complete idea for your stories, or do you just start writing and hope for the best?
I start out with a complete idea for my stories. 
Do you have an editing process?
No.
What do you enjoy the most/least about writing?
Finding markets for stories.
How important is it for you to share your writing?
I wouldn't write otherwise.
Have you ever entered any writing competitions?  Have you ever won?
Yes.  Yes. 
Have you ever attended an open mic event for spoken word performers?
I've done it twice.  I'll do it again.
What advice could you give to a new writer?
Remind them that magazines often accept only 1% of submissions, so don't give up. 
Apart from writing, what are your other hobbies/interests?
Reading.
What types of things do you read?
I read poetry books, short story books and novels.
If you could have written anything, what do you wish that could have been?
James Lasdun's story, "Ate, Memos or the Miracle".
What are you working on at the moment?
Another poetry pamphlet and another story collection. 
Do you have a website/blog/Twitter/Facebook dedicated to your writing?
http://litrefs.blogspot.co.uk/
Thanks Tim.

No comments:

Post a Comment