Sunday 24 March 2013

Word Clouds - How Novel?

I'm back on the procrastination wagon (in between doing actual work) today.  This year I'm taking part in the A-Z Blogging Challenge throughout April (you can sign up here if you haven't already done so), and part of the challenge is to go and look at other people's blogs and comment on their posts.  As it's not yet April, I thought I'd take a trip through blogland and visit a few of the blogs already on the sign-up list. While perusing a few blogs, I noticed that some had word clouds, and like a magpie, I was attracted by the pretty words and colours and shapes.

After finding a site that produces these clouds (I think there are a few out there, but I used http://www.wordle.net/) I thought I would give it a go.

I copied the text from my book, 12 Days of Krista May Rose, available from Amazon (dot com, and dot co dot uk) and pasted it into 'Wordle', and after trawling through fonts and colours, I created this cloud.


And it looks a bit like a Christmas tree, how appropriate.  The only thing I don't like about this is that it doesn't seem to recognise the use of apostrophes, and one of my most commonly used words in the text is "don", which I assume comes from "don't".  But apart from that, I like it.  

I then copied the text from my novel, Lexa Wright's Dating Sights, and came up with this.


Again, "don" is in there, along with "didn".  But it's quite interesting to see which words I've used the most.  Maybe I should see if I can write a story just using those words.  Not now though.  I've got work to do ...

2 comments: