Thursday 25 August 2016

A to Z of Books

Every now and then I like to do a little challenge, and also have a browse through my bookshelves to find some tomes I'd forgotten about.  Andrew Hook shared his blog post on Facebook, so I thought I'd have a look and give it a go.  If you'd like to do the same, leave me a link so I can have a look at your answers.

Here we go...

Author you've read the most books by
I guess I'd have to say Roald Dahl.  I know I haven't read all of his books, but I've read a lot of them - both his adult and children's books.

Best sequel ever
I don't tend to read books in a series or with sequels, so the only one I can think of is 'Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator' by Roald Dahl.

Currently reading
I'm about three quarters of the way through 'Lovely Bones' by Alice Sebold.  I'm reading this for the category of B - a BEST SELLER for the 2016 BookaShelf Reading Challenge.

Drink of choice while reading
I drink water mainly, whatever I'm doing.  If I'm feeling adventurous I may have some tropical fruit squash!

E-reader or physical book
Physical book every time.  I did download some free books onto my ipad but I can't get used to 'turning' the pages on there.  The whole experience of a book isn't just about reading the words.  It's about the feel of the pages, the size of the book, whether it's hardback or paperback, old or new or second-hand, the smell, the sounds it makes as the spine creaks and the pages are turned.  Oh man, there are so many amazing reasons to read an actual book.

Fictional character you would have dated in high school
Hmm, this is a tough one.  I've never read a book and 'fancied' any of the characters.  If I had to choose, I'd probably say Death from 'The Book Thief' by Marcus Zusak.  I was in a very dark place when I was in high school, so he and I would have got on really well!

Glad you gave this book a change
'The No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency' by Alexander McCall Smith.  I work in a library, and his books are extremely popular, so I thought I would by some.  They sat on my shelf for a while and then I decided to read the first one.  I really enjoyed it even though I wasn't sure if I would.  I'm looking forward to reading the next one!



Hidden gem of a book
'Fatso' by Lars Ramslie is a brilliantly sad book about how society expects certain things from people and how people struggle to fit in with the constraints society places on them.  Well worth a read.




Important moments in your reading life
I was super proud of myself when, at 8 years old, I took a reading test at school and was told that I was reading at the same level as 13 year old.  

I also remember a lot of bedtime book reading with my dad (one of my favourites being 'Animal Tales' by Lucy Kincaid), and he made it so enjoyable which clearly sparked my interest and passion for the written word, and I am eternally grateful for that.  And my mum and I would 'compete read' the same book.  We started with 'Matilda' by Roald Dahl when I was in primary school.  She would read a bit during the day when I was at school and then I would read some when I got home.  It sounds silly now, but it was really fun and then we could spend time talking about the book together.

Just finished
A few days ago I finished 'Apocalypse Cow' by Michael Logan.  It's a very strange book about zombie cows and how the nation deals with the frightening realisation that these herbivores are now ready to eat meat.  Quite funny, but extremely silly.

Kind of books you won't read
I've never read a historical book, nor have a read anything from the fantasy genre.  They just don't appeal to me.  I have tried but given up pretty quickly as it's not my thing.

Longest book you've read
The Bible.  

Major book hangover
I rarely have book hangovers, but I think the only book that has left me feeling like no other book can compare is 'The Book Thief' by Marcus Zusak.  For so long afterwards I couldn't pick up another book.  Everything else paled into insignificance after reading that one!

Number of bookcases you own
I've got two large bookcases and many shelves.  The books are mainly double-parked.

One book you've read multiple times
Usually I read a book once and then never pick it up again, but one book I know I've read many times is 'The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole aged 13 3/4' by Sue Townsend.  No matter how many times you read it, it's still so funny.




Preferred place to read
I don't really mind where I am as long as it's quiet, and no-one takes it upon themselves to talk to me while I'm reading.

Quote from a book you've read that inspires you
"So Matilda's strong young mind continued to grow, nurtured by the voices of all those authors who had sent their books out into the world like ships on the sea.  These books gave Matilda a hopeful and comforting message; You are not alone."
'Matilda' by Roald Dahl.

Reading Regret
Last year I found a book called 'The Distance' by Helen Giltrow.  She is no relation, but I get excited when I see someone who has that surname as we Giltrows are a very rare people.  So I borrowed the book from the library and started to read it.  It was dreadful.  I struggled with it and after about 50 pages I took the book back.  A few months later I decided to give it another go.  I wish I'd trusted my gut the first time round.  It took me about four weeks to read a book that should have only taken a week or so.  Whatever you do, don't read it!

Series you started and need to finish
I don't read series.  I know some people get so excited about them but I really struggle to read more than one book in a row by the same author.  However, I will eventually get around to reading more from Alexander McCall Smith.

Three of your all-time favourite books
'The Book Thief' by Marcus Zusak
'Brave New World' by Aldous Huxley
'The Three' by Sarah Lotz




Unapologetic fan-girl for
I really don't know if I have an answer for this one.  I don't tend to fan-girl over anyone or anything.

Very excited about this release
I have never been excited about a book release.  I don't really follow new releases.  I just pick up a book if I find it interesting.  It doesn't matter when it was written or released.

Worst bookish habit
Buying more books than I will ever have time to read.  I can't help it though.  They're so pretty and have so many beautiful words in them.

X marks the spot: start on the top left of your shelf and pick the 27th book
'More Tales of the City' by Armistead Maupin.  I have no idea what this book is about.  I think I got it in one of the library's 'fill a bag for £1' sales!

Your latest purchase
I have a few latest purchases.  The library is always having book sales.  If you buy two books you get the third free.  Books cost between 30p and 60p, so I often come home with piles of books, and have only spent a few quid on them.



Zzz-snatcher book (last book that kept you up far too late)
I can't read it bed because I go to sleep pretty much as soon as my head hits the pillow.  But a book I couldn't put down recently was 'Only Ever Yours' by Louise O'Neill.  An insightful look into how we're so preoccupied with our appearance and how dangerous that can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment