Monday 11 February 2013

Writer - Kim Chamberlain

I'd like to welcome you to my interview with writer, Kim Chamberlain.  Enjoy.

Kim Chamberlain


Hello Kim.  Can you please introduce yourself?
I'm Kim Chamberlain, currently based in Lancashire, though I tend to move around the world a bit. Will be moving back to New Zealand in early 2013.
To escape the delightful weather we're having, eh?  How long have you been writing?
Always!
What first got you interested in writing?
From an early age I loved the creative aspect, and the fact that people could appreciate what I had produced. I remember creating little books for my Nan when I was very young and producing puzzle books for children I babysat for when I was in my teens.
Do you attend a writing group?
a)      Blackpool Writer’s Circle which I joined just over a year ago.
b)      At the beginning of the year I formed a small Mastermind Group with a couple of other writers. We support each other by giving ideas and suggestions. We also set monthly goals for ourselves.  
Why do you attend a writing group?
a)      To keep my head in a ‘writery’ space
b)      To belong to a group that provides mutual support, ideas and inspiration, along with friendship and fun. The Mastermind Group has been extremely helpful, and I would recommend setting one up with people locally if you are interested in this kind of mutual support. 
What is the most valuable thing you have taken away from your writing group?
a)      Being able to help others
b)      Ideas,  suggestions and support from the other members; setting monthly goals and being accountable 
What genre(s) do you write?  What drew you to this/these genre(s)?
Non-fiction.
I write non-fiction mainly based around the concept of ‘kaizen’ / action-based writing, i.e. writing that calls on people to take action in order to move forward in small steps.
I have always been interested in short activities and personal development, and have seen people making significant improvements through the daily email service I’ve been offering along these lines for many years. 

Are there any genres that you don't enjoy writing?
I tend not to write adult fiction or poetry.
These are not the kind of genres I read, so I don’t feel inspired to write them. 
What types of things do you write?
Books, e-books, newsletters, articles, blog posts, daily speaking practice email service, games, puzzles and brain training exercises  … plus emails, notes for my children to hang the washing out….
I hope they read them!  Have you ever had anything published?
Yes I’ve had two books published by Random House New Zealand, Word Games and Number Games.
Currently having my third book published by a New York publisher – a brain training book based on words and language.
Have also jointly self-published a self-help book with several other people, and have written a number of e-books which I’ve sold via my website and now sell via Amazon.
Have also had various magazine articles published.

Have you sent your writing to agents/publishers?  Have you received any rejections?
Yes, and yes – many! 
Would you consider self-publishing/e-publishing?
Yes, I've done this.
Are you interested in eBooks, or do you prefer the old fashioned, paper-made books?
From a reading point of view I prefer paper-made books. 
Who/what influences your writing?  Where do you get your inspiration from?
I feel inspired all the time and constantly have ideas popping into my head! 
Do you have a writing routine?
The benefit of doing the kind of writing I do is that it can be done in long periods or in short bursts.
I generally don’t write in the evenings … too tired. 
Do you have an editing process?
I edit myself several times over a period of several weeks, then show it to others to appraise. 
What do you enjoy the most/least about writing?
Most – the creative aspect. Formulating new ideas then getting them onto paper.
Least – writing the promo blurbs 

Have you ever entered any writing competitions?
I don’t focus on writing competitions though I’ve entered a few at the writer’s circle and won one, the Article Writing competition.
What is the best piece of writing advice you've been given?
The rewards go not necessarily to the best writers but the ones who persevere. 
What advice could you give to a new writer?
Find your niche and focus on that. 
Apart from writing, what are your other hobbies/interests?
Seeing family and friends, dancing, swimming, spiritual & related activities. 
What types of things do you read?  Do you think your writing reflects your books tastes?
Non-fiction; puzzles and games.
Yes, my writing very much reflects my book tastes. 

Do you have any favourite lines from novels/plays/poetry/songs, or any favourite literary quotations?
"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone. "It means just what I choose it to mean - neither more or less."
What are you working on at the moment?
Promoting my e-books on Amazon.
Doing research for a book on ‘decision making via a new type of rune stones’. 
Do you have a website/blog/Twitter/Facebook dedicated to your writing?
Would you be able to provide a short piece of your work?
This is a short extract from my e-book ‘Better Speaking Better Thinking: General edition’ (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Better-Speaking-Thinking-General-ebook/dp/B00ADMNHCS/) 
It’s the first section of the speaking practice topics: 
500 Practice topics
The 500 practice topics are split into 25 sections, each section having 20 topics. The topics are in pairs, with two topics on a similar theme, in case you want to practise with someone else. Using the suggestions from the chapter on ‘Strategies for using the topics’ you can speak to the topics in a variety of ways to gain maximum benefit.

Section I: People
Section II: Male/Female
Section III: Choices
Section IV: Looking at the past
Section V: General (1)
Section VI: Favourites
Section VII: About you (1)
Section VIII: Health
Section IX: For and against
Section X: Quotes
Section XI: Speaking frames (1)
Section XII: Computers & technology
Section XIII: General (2)
Section XIV: Science
Section XV: Controversial
Section XVI: Just one word
Section XVII: About you (2)
Section XVIII: General (3)
Section XIX: Education
Section XX: Stories
Section XXI: Semantic fields
Section XXII: General (4)
Section XXIII: Speaking frames (2)
XXIV: Persuasive speaking
XXV: In the style of
Section I: People

1.       Elvis Presley, why does the legend live on?
2.       Marilyn Monroe, what really made her so popular?
3.       What would be happening in Princess Diana’s life if she were still here?
4.       If you had a choice would you rather meet Queen Elizabeth I or Queen Elizabeth II?
5.       Who has been the best neighbour you’ve ever had?
6.       Who has been the worst neighbour you’ve ever had?
7.       Who was your hero when you were a child?
8.       Did you have a childhood sweetheart?
9.       Who has been an inspiration to you?
10.    Who is the funniest person you know?
11.    Adolph Hitler, the legacy he left the world
12.    Winston Churchill, the legacy he left the world
13.    Was Shakespeare the greatest writer of all time?
14.    Who do you find the most interesting historical figure?
15.    If you could vote for the ‘Most Outstanding Person of the 20th century’, who would you vote for and why?
16.    If you could vote for the ‘Most Outstanding Person of all time’, who would you vote for and why?
17.    Who is the most sensible person you know?
18.    Who is the most intelligent person you know?
19.    Do you keep in touch with any of your school friends?
20.    Tell us about someone you met on holiday
© Kim Chamberlain 
Thank you ever so much Kim.

No comments:

Post a Comment