Friday 5 April 2013

Bugs, Birds, and Books

If you've checked your calendars or diaries, you'll know that it's Friday, and Friday's are days where we Celebrate The Small Things that have happened over the past week.

This week has been quite busy for me.

On Tuesday I volunteered at a craft session for kids at Lowestoft Library.  During the school holidays, the library puts on activities for kids, and this week, as it's (supposedly) spring, we were making things for the garden, such as bug houses and bird feeders.  It was great to see how much the littlies were enjoying themselves.  As well as the bug houses and bird feeders, there were spring-time colouring sheets, bird mobiles, and grass head pots.  Twenty children came into the room fairly clean and presentable, and twenty children left the room (an hour later) covered in glue and feathers and soil and pen ink and a birdseed/lard mix.  But they had fun so that's all that matters.

On Thursday I went to visit a friend who I hadn't seen since before Christmas.  She lives about 30 minutes away, but it's difficult for us to find a time when we're both free to have a catch up.  She moved into a new house last year, and it needed quite a bit of fixing up.  Because of her job, it's taken her a while to get things sorted (and she's still far from finished).  Last time I was there, her living room was very bare.  When I went yesterday, the walls had been painted, pictures hung, and the best part - book shelves had been put up!  For the past I-don't-know-how-many months, her books have been in boxes in her conservatory.  So after a delicious lunch of lasagne, followed by tiramisu, we got to work putting the books on the shelves, where they should be.

All was going well until a giant spider crawled out of one box and sent me and my friend screaming out of the room!  She bravely sucked it up with the vacuum cleaner, and all was well from then on.

In other celebratory news - The A-Z Challenge has gone well so far this week.  I've had some positive feedback which always guarantees a smile.  And I've just finished a bowl of delicious strawberry and white chocolate ice-cream.  Yum.

8 comments:

  1. That spider would have me run all the way home lol I'm so scared of those little things, they are just too creepy. Glad you spend time with your friend and got those books up ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ran up the stairs and wouldn't come down until my friend had sucked that little creepy crawly up! I felt sick *bleurgh*

      Delete
  2. I certainly know what a birdhouse is, but a bug house? That sounds like something to be avoided. Your lunch with lasagne and tirimisu sounded wonderful until you got to the part about the spider. Maybe he should be sent in the direction of the bug house so he could have a nice lunch too! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know what a bug house was until earlier this week. Basically, it's a bit of wood with holes drilled in it. You leave it out in the garden and little bugs can make their home in the holes.

      Delete
  3. Oh man, I have serious arachnophobia! I can't even look at a picture of a spider without feeling creepy crawlies all over. Just the thought of it... well... ugh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean! If you could have heard us scream!! We laughed about it afterwards, but at the time it was far from funny!

      Delete
  4. Great celebrations - I want lasagne and tiramisu now! Your friend was brave to tackle the spider!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. She was brave! I was a jibbering wreck, hiding up the stairs!

      Delete