Friday 19 April 2013

Haircuts and Hailstorms

Check the calendar and you'll notice that it's Friday, and on Fridays we Celebrate The Small Things, thanks to VikLit.  Have a looksee back over the past week and think about all the good things that have happened, big or small.

This week, I'm celebrating a few things.  On Saturday, the Friends of Lowestoft Library had an open meeting followed by a committee meeting.  Here we put the finishing touches to our World Book Night event that is taking place on Tuesday.  I'm getting all excited about it, as we will be giving away free World Book Night books, having a quiz, and having a raffle where the prizes will signed books from local authors.  It also gives me an excuse to dress up!

We've also had some weird weather this week.  I think we've gone through most weather types.  We've not had snow, but last night we has a hail storm, and throughout the week we've had sun, wind, rain, fog, and mist (not all at the same time though).  I would just like to celebrate nature and all of its different facets.

Now that we're moving into spring, some beautiful flowers have been popping up, and we have some lovely daffodils that greet us as we walk through the gate.  I think they're the cheeriest of flowers!



And finally, I'd like to celebrate my dog, Lily.  She's a Jack Russell cross Lhasa Apso, which means that her hair doesn't grow as long as a pure breed Lhasa, but she does get fluffy.  She gets her hair cut every few months, and yesterday she went to the hairdressers like a little fur-ball, and she came home looking all skinny and adorable!


She was so pleased to see me, after a few hours apart.  So along with the actual sunshine, the daffodils, and a happy dog, I've had a week worth smiling about.

PS. I almost forgot ... the writing group I attend (Lowestoft Library Writers' Group) has spent the last few months putting together an anthology of poems, short stories, and photographs, called 'Colours of the Coast'.  Everything is related to somewhere in the local area, and it's a lovely little book, so we're all pleased with that.  It's available to buy from Amazon (USA and Europe).


Oh, and PPS. I've decided to start Postcrossing.  I came across a blog (Marcie's Postbox), through the A-Z Blog Challenge, and her theme was the various aspects of postcrossing.  Basically, you register on the site, and then you request an address.  You send a postcard to that address, and when they receive it, they register the card on the site, and then your address gets sent out, and you start receiving postcards.  I went out this morning and bought some Lowestoft postcards, so I'm going to spend this afternoon requesting addresses and writing these postcards.  It's quite exciting to be able to contact with so many different people around the world.


11 comments:

  1. I love daffodils, too, and always thought tiger-lilies are almost as cheery.
    Colours of the Coast looks just lovely. Congrats!
    I hope you get a whole bunch of delightful postcards! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh yes, tigerlilies are lovely and bright. Thank you :)

      Delete
  2. I found Marcie's blog, too, and made a note of it for after the A-Z Challenge. I'm not sure I'll do it, but I love the idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got impatient! I was going to wait until the A-Z had finished but I couldn't help myself! I can't wait to see what I get back :D

      Delete
  3. Nothing better than these small things! Lilly is a sweetheart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) Yes, looking at the small things really makes you appreciate them. We have so much good going on, we should make note of it :)

      Delete
  4. Aww Lily is so cute and the daffodils are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. CUTE Lily and lovely flowers! Weather is weird indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, lots to celebrate! So happy your writing group is so active- community is so invaluable!
    Lily is just painfully adorable and I relate- my Buddy is a toy poodle and every time he gets his haircut he comes out looking like a completely different dog!
    And good luck with the postcards- that sounds like fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such nice celebrations. And That's daring to send your address out. I'm not sure I'm bold enough to do that. Glad the weather is starting to look up, and your dog is adorable. Writer’s Mark

    ReplyDelete