Friday 31 August 2012

Waxing Artistic

So while I tell myself that I'm a writer, I haven't written anything in a long while.  I have, however, been arty. I guess I fall out of love with writing and fall in love with art every now and then.  Once I'm bored of the art, I'll get back on with the writing.

So a few months ago, while browsing t'internet, I came across melted wax crayon pictures and jumped immediately on the bandwagon.  Following the advice on one site, I bought a couple of boxes of crayons and soaked the crayons in water to get the paper wrappers off.  Once that was done, I glued the crayons on to a canvas and  blasted them with a hairdryer.  I made a mess.  An ugly mess.  The wax melted into one glob of colour (if it could be called a colour).

I went back to the wise internet and found some other suggestions; keeping the paper wrappers on and using a heat gun.  I did those things and came up with this.


And once I'd worked out how to do that, I did this.


And then I thought I'd try something a little bit different, so I chopped up some wax crayons, stuck them randomly to a canvas and melted them with the heat gun, and it ended up looking like this.


I've got a few other unfinished wax crayon projects (unfinished projects? me? never!) dotted around the house, and I will finish them at some point in my life, and if you're lucky I'll show you.



No comments:

Post a Comment