Sunday 9 September 2012

It's only a page

So after putting off writing a one page synopsis of my book for weeks and weeks and months, I finally got around to doing it today.  I already have a nice two page synopsis which outlines everything that happens in the book in the briefest detail possible, or so I thought.  I had absolutely no idea how to cut out a whole page of text without losing the pertinent points of the plot, but I did it.  It's not brilliant, and I'm not going to pretend it is.  It feels empty, as though I've just said "there are some people and some stuff happens to them, the end", but if the agents are insistent on a one page synopsis, I have to give them a one page synopsis.  

I'm not complaining (really, I'm not), and I am quite glad that I did it because it was one of those things that the defeatist in me told me I couldn't do.  I'm going to leave it alone for a while and have a read (I'm still struggling with Afterwards by Rosamund Lipton), and then look at the synopsis one more time before I send it off to agents.

I still haven't received any more rejections.  I can't work out if this is a good or a bad thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment