Monday 26 November 2012

NaNoWriMo OhYes Finally

As many of you will know, I undertook the NaNoWriMo challenge this year for the first time, to write 50,000 words of a novel in 30 days.  It's something I'd wanted to do for years but never had the confidence to do it.  So I bit the bullet this year and sat down at my computer on 1st November in order to write my novel.  In order to complete this challenge, it's necessary to write 1,667 word per day, so that the 50,000th word will be written on 30th November.  I managed to write an average of 2,000 (ish) words per day, and I managed to hit the 50,000 word mark on Friday 23rd November.  The novel is far from finished, but I did it.  I won the challenge.  Yesterday I was rewarded with this lovely certificate.


And loads of little badges that I can post around the internet to show everyone how great I am that I completed this challenge.  I don't really know what to do with them, so I'll just post them all here and you can bow down to my greatness (!).  

Joking aside, it was something that I didn't think I could do, and then I went and did it.  I'm not going to say it was easy, because it wasn't.  During the first week, I used up all my energy and wrote until I couldn't keep my eyes open.  Then the second week came around and I found myself staring at the computer screen, not writing anything.  I tried to make sure I hit the 1,667 word count every day, just to stay on top of it.  I didn't want to let it slide and then find myself in a frantic panic in the final week.  In the third week I got my mojo back and charged over the finishing line.  I am having a bit of a rest from it now, and doing the things that I neglected to do over the past three weeks!  However, the first draft will be done before the end of the year.  I can't wait to get editing this bad boy.

The working title of my novel is Here We Find Ray, and it's a coming of age story, following the life of Ray from childhood to middle age, as his infatuation with Tina, a shop worker whom he met when he was five years old, grows into obsession.  I'm not going to give anything away, because I want everyone to buy it when it's published, but I'm pleased with how it's gone, and I can't wait to write the ending.  The ending is something I've never written before, but it was the first thing I thought of when I decided to write this novel.  I just hope it turns out how I expected it to.

No comments:

Post a Comment