Wednesday 10 July 2013

What's Up Wednesday

What's Up Wednesday is a nifty little blog-hop over at Jaime's blog.


What I'm Reading

I finished off Wolflore by Annaliese Matheron, and boy was it a struggle!  I really don't like criticising authors as I know how difficult it is to write a book, but I really do have to question her editing team.  I have no idea how so many punctuation and grammar mistakes were allowed to slip through the net.  One or two throughout the entire book are forgivable, but not one or two on every page!  It's a shame because it could be a really exciting story, but it's ruined by the errors.

So now I've moved on to A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry.  It's this month's book for Lowestoft Library Book Group.  I don't think I'll finish this one by the time we have our next meeting.  It's quite a large book with very small writing, and those books scare me!  It doesn't matter how great the book is, if it has loads of pages with small writing, I have a bit of a psychological block.  I'll read as much as I can so I'll at least have something to talk about at group!


What I'm Writing

This week I'm writing e-mails with regards to Lowestoft Library Literary Festival.  I'm also writing the agenda for the festival meeting next week.  I also need to catch up on my blogging.  I've let myself slip with posting about my Teen Writers writing group, and Lowestoft Library Writers' Group.  I usually blog the day after, letting everyone know what we've done and what we've got to do before the next meeting.  But I've been a bit naughty and haven't finished my writing prompt pieces.  So once they're done, I can get to it and write my blog posts.  Plus I've been writing a lot of Postcrossing postcards.  And finally, a work colleague has written a screen play and has asked me to have a look over it for him.  I'm always excited to read work written by someone I know, so I will be writing some constructive criticism notes for him.


What Inspires Me Right Now

The weather!  The absolutely beautiful summer weather that we've been lucky to experience this week.  We've waited a very long while for the sun to come out so I'm going to enjoy it while it's here.  Lily (my dog) and I have been spending a lot of time sitting down by the sea's edge - well, I've been doing the sitting and Lily has been running after stones and playing in the sand.  And we've enjoyed every second of it.


What Else I've Been Up To

On Friday I had a fun night out with work peeps, followed by a nice, relaxing weekend.  And this week I've been to the gym for swimming and Pilates.  I even bought myself one of those Pilates resistance bands so that I can stretch myself at home.  My leg muscles are always so tight and sometimes I find it really difficult to straighten them, so hopefully these extra exercises will help my flexibility.  This morning was quite grim and grey, so I thought I'd cheer myself up by watching a great (ha!) British zombie film, 'Gangsters, Guns & Zombies'.  It's rubbish, but in a funny way.  The acting is dreadful, but it was well worth a watch on a cold and wet Wednesday morning.


What's up with you?

7 comments:

  1. I'm reading A FINE BALANCE right now too for a book club I'm part of. You'll be happy to know that it's actually a pretty easy read despite the seriously daunting size of the book. I'm enjoying it so far! Then again, I have until the end of September to finish it, so I don't have the same sense of urgency holding me back.

    And I agree with you about feeling so inspired by the nice summer weather. Honestly, I wish it was like this for so much longer than it is. I guess we appreciate it that much more because of its brevity, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear the sunny weather has gotten up there too. Blogging and writing seems easier in the winter or on those cold, rainy days, but I wouldn't worry about it. Soak up those bright rays while they last :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love watching bad movies to cheer myself up! My favorites are ones that have zombies or some other sort of monster/creature. I love watching them with other people, too, so we can have a running commentary over the terrible lines and acting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Big books with small writing tend to scare me away, BUT Beauty Queens (Libba Bray) was one of those books and it was probably the funniest book I ever read. :)

    And yes - weather is inspiring. Rainy weather tends to get me writing. I love listening to the rain pound on my roof while I hammer away at the keys. :)

    Hope you have a great writing week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The weather is sooooo good right now you can't help but feel good! You sound really busy too. Enjoy it all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Large books with small writing always seem like such a huge time commitment. I have a few of those that I keep saying I'll get to...someday. Glad you're enjoying the summer weather, and I hope you're able to get caught up on everything you need to! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so busy! hope you get to enjoy the weekend and the weather ;)

    ReplyDelete