Tuesday 7 May 2013

Boo!

I wish I had a writing prompt.  Oh I do, and it comes from Jenni's Blog Every Day In May blog-hop.

Day 7, Tuesday: The thing(s) you're most afraid of

If I wrote down everything that I was afraid of, you'd be here for years, reading about it!  So I'll just pick one thing, which I guess is the main thing that scares me.  And that's the dark.  Well, technically I'm not scared of the dark, but I am scared of what could be in the dark.  I have an extremely active imagination, and an unhealthy love of horror films.  These things combined, my mind always works overtime whenever I find myself in the dark.

As a child, I was never told stories of the boogie man, or monsters in the wardrobe/under the bed, but I somehow knew about them and was scared of them.  So I would sleep with a bedside light, and all doors had to be closed before I went to sleep.  I guess boogie men don't have the ability to open doors, even though they have the ability to kidnap/eat children!!  But with the bedside light, the wardrobe door closed, and my duvet tucked tightly around me I was safe from the monsters.

When I started getting older, and my irrational fear of the nothing in the wardrobe should have died down, I started watching scary films.  So every floorboard creaking, and every curtain flapping was an intruder or a ghost or Candyman (don't look in the bathroom mirror in the middle of the night, just in case)!!

I still don't like being alone in the house at night, and turn on all the lights before I go into a room.  People in horror films go into dark houses and creep around without turning on the lights, and they end up getting slaughtered.  

I've never come across anything nasty in the dark, but it doesn't mean that I won't.  So I take precautions, by turning on the lights, keeping doors closed, and making sure my foot doesn't hang over the edge of the bed when I'm asleep.  But I don't really want to go into what might be under the bed!  Remember what happened to Jennifer Love Hewitt?!

2 comments:

  1. I must say, I had this fear too, when I was younger...till about the age of 13 or 14, I guess? I slowly "trained" myself out of it. It was hard work, but it's worth it :) One thing which works in my favour is that I don't watch scary movies! I know I won't have any peace of mind if I do...so when a scary horror movie intrigues me, I go read the plot details online. I get to know the story without seeing the gore ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dark can be a scary thing! But I don't watch horror movies so I am not afraid of those kinds of things in the dark.

    ReplyDelete