Monday 11 March 2013

Writer - Lynda Alsford

I'd like to welcome you to my interview with writer Lynda Alsford.  Enjoy.

Lynda Alsford


Hello Lynda, can you please introduce yourelf?
Hi, my name is Lynda Alsford and I live in South East England near the city of Brighton.
I live on the coast and I love the sea!
I live by the sea and I couldn't imagine living anywhere else!  How long have you been writing?
Only a couple of years, apart from the odd poem and my journal! So, I am a relatively inexperienced and new writer.
What first got you interested in writing?
The primary reason I decided to write is to share my story with folk. I knew my story had encouraged those I had shared it with face to face and hoped the same would be true for them reading it too. I was thinking about writing my story in a book and then before I told anyone a friend looked at me one day and said ‘you must write a book about it’. Her words confirmed that God thought I would write it too!
Do you attend a writing group?  
Yes I attend my local Sussex group for the Association of Christian Writers (ACW). I find it really helpful to chat over writing with other people. I also belong to the ACW’s Facebook group which I find very helpful indeed.
What genre(s) do you write?  What drew you to this/these genre(s)?
I write non fiction, particularly my true life story.
I’ve tried writing short stories but not had anything published. I have started a novel but not really got far so couldn’t tell you exactly what genre it is yet! I am not sure yet what the story is! 
What types of things do you write?
I have written poems in the past, and short stories. I also write a blog.
Have you ever had anything published? 
I have self published one book and I am working on a second one now. My first book is called ‘He Never Let Go: The true story of the prodigal evangelist’ and is about how I lost my faith despite being a trained evangelist. It tells my story as I lose my faith and explains how I came back to faith again.

Have you sent your writing to agents/publishers?  
I have not sent it to any publishers. I chose to self publish from the start. I published on Kindle first and then brought out the paper back.
Who/what influences your writing?  Where do you get your inspiration from?
My inspiration is I guess from God although that sounds over spiritual. My desire is primarily to share what God has done for me, whether that is in written or spoken words.
Do you have a writing routine?
I try to write some of my book each day but don’t always achieve it. If I am really not in the mood so to speak I don’t do much although I like to try to push myself to do even a little every day. I don’t write every day when I don’t have a book in progress.
Do you have an editing process?
I was lucky that my step mum and sister are both English teachers and they read the book for me. I also had a couple of friends read it for me to help see inconsistencies etc.
What do you enjoy the most/least about writing?
I like most being able to share things with others that I hope will be helpful for them.
I dislike having to try to work to deadlines but fortunately at the moment as I am all self published this doesn’t really happen much! 
How important is it for you to share your writing?
It is really important for me to share my writing as that is why I am writing in the first place. I want to communicate what God has done for me.
What advice could you give to a new writer?
Just start writing and don’t be afraid to share it with others who you trust to give you help and guidance. Join a writing group – I find them helpful.
Apart from writing, what are your other hobbies/interests?
I like creative crafts such as painting, needlecrafts, knitting and reading.
Do you have a website/blog/twitter/facebook dedicated to your writing?  
My website for my writing/speaking is www.lyndaalsford.com


What are you working on at the moment?
I am currently working on my second book which tells of how Jesus set me free from food addiction. It has a working title of ‘Being known’.
Would you be able to provide a short piece of your work? 
This is taken from my book He Never Let Go. It is from Chapter 5, Lost in broken dreams.
Christ Church was (and I have no doubt still is) filled with delightful people. They are a very loving and kind congregation. I loved being with them. They will always have a huge place in my heart. One lady in particular was very loving and understanding to me. She was a particularly bright star amongst many at Christ Church. One Sunday after the service, this lovely lady asked me how I was. She knew I was struggling. She was one of the few at church who knew a little about what was going on underneath my ‘I’m the confident parish evangelist’ outer shell. Having said that, I don’t think she had any idea what would happen when she asked that simple question, ‘How are you?’ All of a sudden, the tidal wave of pain and anguish I had felt but pushed down for so many years came gushing up and needed to be let out. It had been building up over a long period of time. Now, here in church, in front of most of Christ church, I suddenly didn’t know if I could keep it in any longer. We were in the coffee area at the time with lots of people milling about us. My kind friend led me gently back into the church worship area, and sat me down on a seat. What took place in the next few minutes was simultaneously some of the most painful, and the most beautiful, moments of my life.
© Lynda Alsford
Thank you very much Lynda.

No comments:

Post a Comment