Thursday 9 May 2013

A Moment In The Day In The Life

May is plodding along quite nicely, as is the challenge to Blog Every Day In May.

Day 9, Thursday: A moment in your day (this can be just a photo or both a photo and words)

A day is made up of hundreds, if not thousands, of moments.  But there are only a handful of those moments that are worth noticing and holding on to.  The best moments of my day (when I'm not at work) occur between 12:30 and 1pm.  This is when I take my dog, Lily, for her long lunchtime walk along the beach.  She thinks the beach is great.  She gets to run off the lead and play in the sand and shout at the sea and  bury stones and chase the birds and meet up with her friend, Rollo.  And I love watching her do all those things, because, as a parent, all you want is for your child to be happy.  She gets a little smile on her face every time we're down at the beach, no matter what the weather is.

Now, most people would think we have an ugly beach.  The sea isn't blue.  There isn't much sand.  There's more grass than anything else.  And don't even get me started on the stones.  But any decent person would know not to judge a book by its cover.  It may not be the Bahamas, but it's a wonderful piece of nature, pretty much unspoiled by human hand.  And it's right on my doorstep (well, about a 5 minute walk from my doorstep).  

My parents grew up in London, where views from their window would consist of houses, block of flats, shops, factories, and other buildings.  I've lived by the beach my entire life, so I can take it for granted.  But when I see Lily playing and enjoying it so much, I remind myself how lucky I am to be able to see the horizon and that I can breathe in the fresh air, away from the hussle and bussle of town life.

Today is a really sunny day, if not breezy, so we thought we'd walk right up to the water's edge, to see the sea.  Just before this picture was taken, Lily thought it would be a good idea to roll around in a dead fish.  For some reason, she loves to roll around in dead animals.  Every now and then there will be a dead bird or fish on the beach, and before I can do anything she's lolling on her back in the carcass.  Delightful.

So after this lovely picture of her, smiling in the sun, running along the beach, was taken, we had to hurry home and get in the bath.  But now she's all fluffy and smells lovely!


20 comments:

  1. Who's having more fun you or the dog, lol. I'm thinking maybe it's you. How nice you leave close enough to do that daily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! You might be right. But I guess my fun is from her having fun :D

      Delete
  2. Haha, morbid little puppy! The beach looks great. You're lucky to live that close!

    http://magicinacupcake.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! She's terrible! But it is great to live so close to the beach :)

      Delete
  3. Lily's adorable! I like beaches, and dogs, so this combination is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. She is adorable (except when she's rolling around in dead things!)

      Delete
  4. Aww - she really does look so happy!! Adorable. :) And I think your beach is beautiful, and the best part is you seem to have it all to yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, normally we have it to ourselves. Sometimes we bump into other dog walkers, but they are few and far between which is great!

      Delete
  5. Aww, she looks lovely, rolling in dead animals aside!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah thank you, yes, apart from that disgusting habit she is a lovely little dog! :D

      Delete
  6. I'm notmuch for the beach but this looks lovely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I'm not a 'sea' person; I won't swim in the sea, or even paddle. But I do like sitting near the sea on the beach :)

      Delete
  7. How lovely to live by the sea . . . I can only imagine! I've been firmly ensconced in the suburbs my whole life and, though I like it, the ocean has such appeal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by. I couldn't imagine not being on the coast. But I really shouldn't take it for granted. The sea is so beautiful and relaxing. I could sit by the waters' edge and watch the waves for hours!

      Delete
  8. Being near any sort of water makes me happy, and who cares how fantastic your beach is, it's a beach, and a beach you enjoy. Also, your dog is super cute!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. She is cute when she's not rolling around in goodness knows what!! And you're right, I do enjoy the beach. It's a lovely little haven in a busy world.

      Delete
  9. Aww such a cute dog :) I wish I could take my cat for a walk/run sometimes lol xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :D Some people do put their cats on a lead and take them for walks!! Although I don't know how much the cats enjoy it :/

      Delete
  10. hi! i found your blog through jenni @ story of my life. i love reading everyone's "moment" posts! your dog is so cute. :) happy friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thanks for stopping by. Happy Saturday :D

      Delete