Tuesday 1 April 2014

A is for ... A

Today is 1st April, so here is my first post for the Blogging from A to Z April Challenge.  This year I am sharing my musical tastes with you.  I hope I can introduce you to some new bands/artistes, and if you'd like to comment perhaps you could introduce me to some of your favourite bands/artistes beginning with the appropriate letter of the day.  For more music, please have a look at my last.fm profile.

A

source
What better band to have for the letter A than A.  I first heard about these guys in 2001 or 2002 with the release of their single 'Nothing'.  This came out around the time of the Nu-Metal craze, which included bands like Limp Bizkit, Crazy Town, Linkin Park, Deftones, Incubus, and many many others.  

I didn't actually realise that they'd been going since the early 90s!  And what I really didn't realise is that they're from a town very near to me.  

They're not one of my favourite bands, but if I ever want to feel like I'm 20 years old then I put their album 'Hi-Fi Serious' on and I can feel like I'm dancing at Spirals.


"Nothing" - A

*****

Honourable Mentions go to - 

Arctic Monkeys - I was first introduced to this band in my final year at university.  They found their fame by releasing a lot of songs on the internet before releasing them on CD, which found their way onto my university's Indie Soc DJ list.  Wrap your ears around Fake Tales of San Francisco.

Absent Kid - This is another band that I found while at university.  They were Colchester based and would play a few gigs in various venues on campus.  Wrap your ears around Quiet Playground.

Architecture in Helsinki - I really can't remember how I came across this band, but I'm glad I did!  They're a bit odd, but I like odd.  Wrap your ears around Heart it Races.

*****

What A bands/artistes do you like listening to?

2013 A-Z Challenge post - A is for Acronymic Poetry

19 comments:

  1. Hi Rebecca, nice choice for the alphabet A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had never heard of that band before, but I listened to the song and it was pretty good. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Listening to them makes me feel like I heard them some time ago - not the 90's but like early 2000's. I need to take a better look because this is my kind of music…then again, I have lots of kinds of music. Great choice.

    Happy A-Zing!

    Elsie
    AJ's wHooligan in the A-Z Challenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were around in the 2000s. I started listening to them in about 2001-02 ish and were quite big for a while and then they kind of disappeared.

      Delete
  4. I haven't heard of that band but listened to the song. Not bad.
    Visiting from A to Z Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hadn't heard of the band either but listened to the song. Not bad.
    Visiting from A to Z challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always fun to hear about a band or song you've never heard before. Sadly I still haven't listened to it as I can't pull it up on my spottily... Darn. I'll tray another source. Visiting from A to Z Challenge. You can visit my challenge at http://theegetawaygal.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by. I will have a wander over to your blog soon :) I hope you manage to listen to some of my songs - they're all worth a listen to :)

      Delete
  7. I have never heard of A. There are so many bands out there. My partner is a fan of Architecture in Helsinki though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is so much music out there, I know I'll never hear it all (but I would like to at least try!!)

      Delete
  8. Hi Rebecca! So glad you are taking the A to Z challenge again this year. I really enjoyed your Oulipian Contstraints last year.

    I think it's good to have bands that can make you feel 20 again. I look forward to an aural treat for April as we galavant through your music collection! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I wish I could have done something a bit more in depth this year, but I'm so busy at the moment. I just hope my music can bring a little joy to people this month :)

      Delete
  9. I didn't think I knew this song, but now I'm listening to it I've definitely heard it before. Probably on Kerrang :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's probably it. They were on Kerrang quite a bit, and on some of their compilation CDs as well :)

      Delete
  10. Looking forward to seeing your posts :)

    ReplyDelete