Saturday 5 April 2014

E is for ... eels

Today is 5th April, so here is my fifth post for the Blogging from A to Z April Challenge.  This year I am sharing my musical tastes with you.  I hope I can introduce you to some new bands/artistes, and if you'd like to comment perhaps you could introduce me to some of your favourite bands/artistes beginning with the appropriate letter of the day.  For more music, please have a look at my last.fm profile.

eels

source
eels was one of my favourite bands when I was at high school.  When you're going through puberty and strange bodily changes, a song such as 'Beautiful Freak' can really help you through the tough times.

I remember sitting in my bedroom, in the dark, with my lava lamp bubbling away on the shelf, listening to this album.  The grainy vocals and simple music made the songs more real than the other manufactured rubbish around at the time.


"Beautiful Freak" - eels

*****

Honourable mentions - 

East 17 - During my teenage years, when young girls are programmed to like boy bands, everyone was fawning over Take That.  I preferred the 'rough and ready' image of East 17, and I still can't get enough of this group.  Wrap your ears around It's Alright.

Example - Excuse me for this little 'hipster' moment, but I liked Example before he was all cool and Ibiza!  He supported Killa Kela in 2004 or 2005, and he was brilliant.  I loved his turn of phrase in his raps, and now I think his talents are wasted.  Wrap your ears around What We Made.

Eagle-Eye Cherry - I remember seeing him at V Festival in 1999.  Most people had got bored and wandered off, so I managed to get a spot right at the front.  I think I was the only person singing along to everything.  Everyone else missed out on a really good show.  Wrap your ears around Save Tonight.

*****

What E bands/artistes do you like listening to?

2013 A-Z Challenge post - E is for Elementary Mortality

10 comments:

  1. There are so many bands it shouldn't be hard to come up with one for every letter of the alphabet. I've never heard of this one which isn't saying much since I'm not a music fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did struggle a bit with the Q and X bands, but for the rest, there were far too many!

      I can't believe you're not a music fan. With all the different genres there are out there, surely there must be something you like, even if it's only one band! For me, not liking music is the same as not liking food or sunshine!!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing this information, I am blogging at Exchanged Luck

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the introduction. Stopping by to share some A to Z love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, I do miss those hours as a teen of thoughtfully listening to music by the light of my lava lamp and mini-Christmas lights and maybe even a candle or two. I don't often allow myself the time for full immersion like that, but it is such a good thing to do!

    ~Tui Snider~
    @TuiSnider on Twitter
    My blog: Tui Snider's Offbeat & Overlooked Travel
    I am also part of the #StoryDam team, a friendly writing community!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool song, I liked it :)

    I did a search of my iTunes and of note, in the E's, are The Eagles and Elton John and interestingly enough a song by the Eels - I Need Some Sleep from Shrek 2 :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not heard of the eels before. I'll have to check them out. I had to open up iTunes to see what E bands we've got. Not many it turns out: Eddie Cochran, Eliza Doolittle, Emile Sande, Eminem and Extreme!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the Eels, I remember hearing them a lot during my childhood since my Dad likes them. I love hearing them pop up when I'm watching the Shrek movies :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't listen to a very wide variety of music, so I'm not even sure I could think of a band, group or singer that starts with E. But I definitely listened to music often in high school--still do (even if it's not a lot of different groups). One of my favorite things to do. :)

    Stopping by from the A to Z :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful Freak is probably the only song I know from eels, but it's beautiful. Thanks for reminding me of them!

    ReplyDelete