Wednesday 2 April 2014

B is for ... Buck 65

Today is 2nd April, so here is my second post for the Blogging from A to Z April Challenge.  This year I am sharing my musical tastes with you.  I hope I can introduce you to some new bands/artistes, and if you'd like to comment perhaps you could introduce me to some of your favourite bands/artistes beginning with the appropriate letter of the day.  For more music, please have a look at my last.fm profile.


Buck 65

source
I would have to say that Buck 65 (real name, Richard Terfry) is one of my all time favourite artistes.  He mixes spoken word poetry with hip-hop and a bit of country and blues.  The first time I encountered his music was when I was in my final year at university, around 2004 or 2005.  I belonged to the Indie Soc, and on their internet forum they welcomed mix-tapes, put together by the Indie Soc members.  One guy included a MSTRKRFT remix of 'Kennedy Killed the Hat' and I instantly fell in love with it. 

Buck 65 has a lovely, grainy tone to his voice.  No matter what he says, you want to listen to him.  I've been lucky to see him live three times, but I would love to see him again, and again. 

I don't really have a favourite Buck 65 song; they're all hella awesome.  But this one really tugs at the heart strings.


"Cries A Girl" - Buck 65

*****

Honourable Mentions go to -

Brand New - This is another band that just fell into my ears.  I don't know where I first heard them, but there are some bands that just stand out and you want to hear more from them.  Wrap your ears around Limousine.

The Bluetones - This band was my first live music experience.  I saw them in 1999 and I loved it, although I wasn't too enamoured with the mosh pit and being squished by loads of sweaty men.  Wrap your ears around Marblehead Johnson.

Billy Talent - I think an ex-boyfriend introduced me to this band.  He had a huge music collection, so even if he was a complete idiot, I managed to come away from that relationship with some new music.  Wrap your ears around Try Honesty.

*****

What B bands/artistes do you like listening to?

2013 A-Z Challenge post - B is for Beautiful Outlaw

3 comments:

  1. I have never heard of this guy before. Learn something new every day, huh? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do indeed. That's what I was hoping to do with this challenge; introduce people to music they might not have heard before :)

      Delete
    2. Had to listen to Buck 65 since that's my son's name. He definitely has a unique style of music. Thanks for the introduction. Maria, http://www.delightdirectedliving.blogspot.com/

      Delete